Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Singing birds on St Patricks day in hot Lava

This song seems rather fitting for where I am now, not where I was in the last post.. things have changed a bit.

"For the life of me I can't believe
That you're on your knees beggin' please
All the pushing' away and puttin' down
Can't you see you're gettin' the run around
Oh it's plain to see you'd rescue me
From my loneliness so called unhappiness
Oh I didn't mean to cause you pain
I've got nothin' to lose and nothin' to gain

And don't waste your heart on a wild thing
She's got a soul that won't settle on one thing
Whoa this bird can't sing when you've tied its wings
Don't waste your heart on me

It's funny how the girls get burned
And honey as far as I'm concerned
The tables have turned

And don't waste your heart on a wild thing
She's got a soul that won't settle on one thing
Whoa this bird can't sing when you've tied its wings
Don't waste your heart on me

And I'm here to apologize
My heart can't compromise
Don't waste your heart on me" ~ Dixie Chicks


Maybe it was my weekend spent in lava. The hot mineral water washed away any desire to be in any kind of relationship. And I realised that I already had a soul mate. A few actually. My girlfriends.

We arrived in Lava and made our first stop at the local liquor store. We bought immense amounts of airplane sized bottles of vodka, Rum and Kahlua and bottles of wine. We then made our way over to the Hot Pots which were located conveniently right across the street from our little motel.


Turns out I am allergic to whatever minerals are in those steamy hot pools. My legs swelled up and turned tomato juice red and felt as if I had spent an hour soaking in liquid hot magma. An hour and a cold shower later I was fine. I think the beer helped in putting out the fire.

We read our cards, read a cosmo, laughed and joked and then headed to the local watering hole and ate the greasiest best most wonderful cheeseburgers on earth. Drank a few beers and made our way back to the Motel room to shoot down our wee little bottles of booze.

Back at the bar we danced our hearts out to Dier Straights, Steve Miller Band and Van Morrison cover songs. Tawni puked in her shoes at 10:15 but after a change of clothes and a rinse of the shoes we were back at it by 11:00.

It must have been the many mini bottles and mixing of different flavors of vodkas that channeled our inner alter-ego's. Because before the night was through I was a Police Officer and Krisi was a sheep herder and Tawni was a kindergarten teacher. I shared stories to the local lava boys with 6 teeth sporting cigarette apparel of growing up on Kris's farm artificial inseminating cow's. Somehow her Donkey Cletus and Pig Petunia were my inspiration to take down the bad guys.

The next morning I woke up with a hangover that took over my entire body. And a bruise on my knee the color of Barney. It was a mystery to me as to how I received such a Battle wound until Tawni reminded me of my Risky Business slide across the dance floor to the song 'Good time Rock n' Roll' At least it was fitting, although a pair of Ray Bans and whitey tighties would have made it a huge success.

The ride home was long and ungodly bright. I rested in bed all Sunday and all Monday. And last night I decided that I am 100% complete. 100% Content just as I am. I don't need a man to be happy. In fact, this singletude is actually pretty awesome. I don't have to answer or explain myself to anyone. I don't have to have in depth conversations about feelings or the future. Because, it's a mystery.
I don't have to worry about what the other is thinking or doing, or argue over misinterpretations. I never experience let downs or put Downs. I can go to Lava, or Zions, or hell California on a whim. I can spend money on shoes I don't need instead of dinners and movies for 'us'. And I can dance with whoever I want come Saturday night and go for drinks with a handsome stranger if I so happen to stumble across one who asks. My tomorrow is completely unpredictable and open to anyone or anything to come into it.
*Cheers*
Happy St Patricks Day

1 comment: