Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Repost on the worms with wings

I am re-posting this because I read it again. And I love it. And it still holds true.I added a few new ideals.
" Some people are settling, some people are settling down, and some people.. refuse to settle for anything less than butterflies. " ~Sex in the city
Butterflies. . . We all seem to be chasing them. We find them and in no time at all they are gone. Maybe we all need stronger nets?
I decided to do a little research on these sought after little creatures. I thought that there had to be some truth to the figurative idea of 'butterflies' to the real ones.
Fact:They are a very short lived little things. They live only one week and in some lucky cases to a year. At most. A year?! Thats it?? And another point that my wise friend Steph brought to my attention. "Butterflies are amazing little creatures.. Take the Monarch butterfly. That silly little bug flies crossed continents. And what's more amazing then bugs that can fly crossed the ocean? Those little bugs return to not only the same place but the same branch they hatched on to leave their eggs. But let's not make them anymore then they are... winged worms not worth grieving over"
So, I have found myself asking, Are butterflies really what I should be searching for? And, How much importance should that warm and fuzzy, zippidy dooo daa, on top of the world singing from the rooftops, or, in Tom Cruises case, Oprah Winfrey's couch really hold?
I have had the Butterflies. I have experienced the 'love at first sight' feeling. The attraction so strong you could just pass right out on a bar floor full of peanuts because he actually spoke to you. And the stumble over your words, toe jam eating, awkward conversation because your words just won't come out right with your heart pit-pattering and skipping beats.
But, then.. the butterflies die. And their passing has sometimes been so devastating I feel as if I should hold a funeral service in their memory and cater a dinner with cold cuts and funeral potatoes to draw in my family and friends to join me in this pity-party. And after the butterflies croak your words won't come out right because you are to busy contemplating where you are going to bury his body. (kidding) kind of..
What I'm getting at is maybe, just maybe Myself, and many other women have it all wrong. Perhaps, maybe.. the butterflies don't mean forever. Maybe the attraction does fade away. And the passion and the fire eventually flicker out. .. and, it could be that the men on white horses serenading us into the sunset will really only benefit us in picking out outfits.
Maybe love is found in a comfy reliable dependable place. Where no makeup or cleavage is required. I wouldn't mind finding my 'monarch' The one who could fly crossed oceans and still come home to my branch to our eggs. BUT..
All I know is.. Im retiring my butterfly net... And looking for someone to wear the other half of my BFF Heart necklace.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is very deep! Hats off to ya! This is what I have to say about it.. No butterflies wont always be around, but its the surprising, romantic things that bring them back for just a little while. Love is found in a comfy reliable dependable place, where you feel at home, where you don't care what you look like or what you said or may not have said. Keep looking for that one that gives you butterflies, but dont be sad when they slowly fade, just be glad that you are still in love with him! :)

    ReplyDelete