Monday, January 26, 2009

My 15 Minutes Of fame

A few weeks ago My friend Steph and I ventured out to the city of Salt to grab a Monday night cocktail and chat.
Upon entering the Bar we were stopped by a camera man asking for our opinion on the bars closing. I had only been in this bar once before, for an hour at most therefore I had no opinion. But He was insistent.. so I channeled the inner bar fly and Lied on local television. I always knew I could be an actress.
Steph told the man her name was Sally Fields and shared memories of Halloween's past spent at the Port. But the only thing they showed was her anger in buying a membership for only 2 months of use.
I tried like hell to hold in my laughter and say something inspiring and intelligent.. but.. well.. the topic was a local watering hole.. So I chose to express my love for the bar I had never been in and used excellent choices for word's like "Suck"
Even the creepy man who offered us his lighter and went on and on about getting stuck in Vegas but not gambling and shared his thoughts on strippers and sex toys made a better point than I did.
Although Port o' Call does have a special place in my heart, in the last shot I am not getting emotional over the untimely fate of this bar.. I am about to start laughing so hard I nearly Pee'd my pants. But I still would gladly accept my Emmy.
I don't know what it is about Steph and I but when the two of us are together the most ridiculously random funny things happen to us.
I would have posted this sooner however, I am technologically challenged and it took me 2 weeks to find the damn video.
And in retrospect and in having a little time to think about the issue, I wish I woulda said ..
I think its bullshit. There is a perfectly good court house a block away from this bar. And if Obama is giving the State of Utah a stimulus package to build a new court house I think he should look over his budget one more time. Why in the hell do we need to spend millions to build a new court house when we have so many layoffs due to budget cuts and lack of work? Small business's are closing, Houses are foreclosing and the answer? Shut down another local business and put even more people out of work??! This bar is a great tourist attraction and it is one of the biggest bars in the city.. It brought in alot of revenue to the state Taxes.
Im sure this decision was fully backed by the church who aides in every decision made in the state. Our Bars already require memberships and all alcohol is covered by the 'Zion curtain' So whats one less bar and the jobs of the sinners whom partake in that lifestyle?
Bravo Utah Bravo.

1 comment:

  1. Ode to the Port.

    I nearly cry every time I see it! I really wish that they had included more of our antics though. Man in the green body suit... and where's the part where I pointed out where the existing court house is sitting at the other end of the block. I totally agree to the ridiculousness of chasing stimulus money. It's absolutely absurd and frankly I'm pretty sure that I put thousands of my hard earned dollars into that ill-managed bank account and I should get a say on how it's spent. Where and when was this vote on taking over the Port and where was my invitation? I hate that the government can buy itself big expensive presents at such a huge cost not only in dollars and cents but in jobs and loss of revenue to local business owners that were putting the money back into our community. I doubt we'll see the same from the mass of prisoners that will be processed there now. Boo, OTR!

    P.S. I love you and I'm sorry I flaked. I was being a royal bitch and trust me, you didn't want me around. I would have hit someone in the nose and ruined the whole evening. I'll make it up to you.

    ReplyDelete