Monday, April 27, 2009

Hallalujah


This last weekend was as eventful as always. But one event in particular changed me. I literally felt something shift within me.
From the top.....
Thursday friends and I went to the local watering hole to watch the Utah Jazz Beat that arrogant string bean, Kobe Bryant. Friday and Saturday we returned to suck down more kamikazes leading to altercations, leading to my face getting punched/slapped by the craziest chick I have set my eyes on since high school. Awesome. She was just lucky her big beaked friend was there to hold me back. Otherwise.. well, her hair woulda got pulled and she'd have a few good-sized scratches. We all know I can't fight. I'm puney!
That experience led me to realise how un -into the bar scene I have become.
I also realised that I don't belong there anymore. I am back in a relationship with the love of my life, who is all I'll ever need or want or could ask for. Bars are for people who are single and looking. I'm neither of those two. And it is my belief that when in a relationship for respect of your better half you shouldn't indulge in that lifestyle without them there.. People are people and sometimes people are assholes. Especially when your cerebellum is swimming in booze. So, with exception of birthdays and special occasions I am putting my bar frequenting days behind me. And although our local watering hole holds a special little place in my heart because everyone knows my name and the drinks never run dry and familiar faces are a guaranteed find.. I think my life will be much better off without the weekly visitations.
So.. I am going to purchase one of those special little martini shakers and google me the recipe for those delicious tasty treats I enjoy so much on the weekends.
My pocket book will thank me and so will my liver. I imagine my relationships will become much more genuine/stable and real as well.
(yay...look friends.. I'm growing up)
Sunday I went to church. I had the most amazing experience there. I went to watch my boyfriend play in the church band. The music was absolutely awesome. The people were so nice and the energy that filled that room was infectious. Almost.. surreal. It has been a long time since I have been in a place where all you could feel was positive energy and love. That's when I felt something 'shift'.
Watching Eric play his drums, doing something he loves and doing it for something as great as faith was incredible.
I have had a very eccentric up bringing with religion. Growing up in Utah and not being a Mormon wasn't exactly a walk in the park. I use to wear a CTR ring on the playground just to fit in and avoid being teased. I remember one time a girl had yelled ' Don't touch her.. she is a christian' I can remember thinking.. wait?? You are too!!
Then My father ( One of the most spiritually enlightened men I know) would take my sisters and I hiking and talk about God and had us hug trees and honor the Great spirit. At the time I was certain one of the ferns had stolen his mind.
Ever since I could ask questions I have been questioning religions. .(Probably because I was a tree huggin hippie wearing a CTR ring going to Young womens then to Mass then reading about the Dali Lama)I have always been fascinated by them. But I wonder how something that is suppose to promote peace and love could cause so much animosity and so much blood shed and hatred and judgment.
I still have so many questions.
One question I have.. The question that stumps me the most. How can people say THIS is the true church? THIS is the only way to God? With how many billions of people there are in the world.. good people? People of faith but people who's faith may be different than yours. What about the Hindu's, Buddhist's, Taoist, Native American's or the Jews? Will they be denied Salvation because they were raised to have faith in God but practice their faiths differently or have different teachings but with very similar lessons?
That's the trouble I have with Christianity. I have a hard time with the notion of Christ being the only way to God. .
let me take ya back ....
Girls Camp. 10 years old. I begged my Mother to let me start going to Young Women's in order to go to camp with all my friends. She let me. I went. It was fun we put on skits and ate food and hiked. Then the last night was testimony night. My friend dared me and bribed me with braids in my hair to get up and bare mine. I obliged. I walked up to the wooden stage and began " I would like to bare my Testimony.. I am not sure if this church is true.. whoosh!! I was ripped up off that stage faster than a twinkie at fat camp. The next morning came and I didn't get a cinnamon roll at breakfast and was never invited to the girls activities again.
Point is.. I have always had questions. I think I always will. But I hope to always have an open heart and an open mind. The more I learn the more enlightened I hope to become.
In the meantime I just want to be a good, honest, happy, healthy, loving person. And surround myself in good company with the people I love.
I am looking forward to see where this little 'shift' will nudge me.

2 comments:

  1. I have a problem with any religion that is intolerant of sincere questions and searching. But day-um! To deprive you of a cinnamon roll is just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog girl... just to let you know my mom and marty and also my bff amadanda and her husband are doing a 30 day sobriety. just because there drinking was leading to too many issues. but hey!!! im becoming a bartender at my work and would be happy to shake you up some fancy kamikazees.... there not hard to make!!! we will do it together! ill be there june 12th to the 18th!!! woot woot! we must party this time!!

    ReplyDelete